Monday, August 8, 2011

Almost Heaven Part 2

On the last night of our West Virginia trip, Pr. Mark took our group to a place called "Beauty Mountain." This was a viewing area high in the mountains overlooking the New River Gorge. It's name was understated. This view was gorgeous. We arrived as the sun was setting over the mountains, creating a very serene atmosphere. Pr. Mark instructed us all to sit in silence and take in all that God had to say to us. For at least 10 minutes we worshipped in the silence, yet heard so much. As I gazed over the amazing creation, I felt really small. The mighty river below, that we raced down the day before, seemed almost insignificant. The vastness of the scenery overwhelmed me and I wondered to God, "Who Am I?" Sometimes I feel very important and big. Sometimes I feel that this world could not survive without me, and I have a jaded view of my significance. But on that mountain I felt like a speck of sand on the beach, or a wave on the ocean. This world has long existed before me and will long exist after I'm gone. It was a humbling moment. But, then, I heard God speak to me, saying, "yes, I created all this long before there was you. And yes, my creation is much bigger than you. But you are still more important to me than all of it. Remember, I did not die for the mountains, the rivers, or the setting sun, I died for you. This creation will all end someday, but you will be with me forever in paradise." Of all the wonders that God has created, He still loves us more than all of it. That is also a humbling thought, but a life-giving humbling thought at that! Amen.

No comments: